Family Law in Belleville, Illinois: The Terms of Dissolution
Divorcing Illinois spouses often have two big questions on their mind: How much is this going to cost? And, how long is this going to take? Cost and timing vary based on the specific details of a divorce in Belleville, IL. However, there are some things that generally may be able to help point a divorce towards being cheaper, faster and less stressful.
One possible such option is settling a divorce via the Illinois simplified joint dissolution process, which is available to select spouses.
What are the requirements for the Illinois simplified joint dissolution process?
The Illinois simplified joint dissolution process could help bring a marriage to a close quickly and cost-effectively.
That said, there are some state-specific requirements that you have to meet before an Illinois family court will approve your divorce settlement via the Illinois simplified joint dissolution process. Here’s what’s required:
- Both parties are financially independent from one another and they waive their right to seek financial support.
- One of the parties has met the divorce residency requirement.
- The parties have submitted written statements or other proof that they have irreconcilable differences.
- The marriage did not involve any children. Furthermore, the wife isn’t pregnant from the husband to her knowledge.
- The marriage has not endured for over eight years.
- The parties don’t have any retirement benefits or real property interests in common unless the retirement benefits involve IRAs with combined values of under $10,000.
- The parties have waived their rights to seek spousal maintenance.
- Marital property is under $50,000 in value and combined income of the spouses is under $60,000 and neither spouse has an income that exceeds $30,000.
- Both parties have disclosed their assets, debts and tax returns for the years during the marriage.
- The parties have signed an agreement that divides all pertinent assets that are worth over $100 and have divided their liabilities and debts.
Are you ready for the Illinois simplified joint marriage dissolution process?
Not all couples can qualify for the Illinois simplified joint dissolution process; however, the ones who can qualify could benefit from a swift and cost-effective divorce. As for those who can’t, there are still routes they could pursue for bypassing litigation and settling a divorce out of court. Divorce mediation in Belleville, IL has grown in popularity as an alternative to traditional divorce litigation.
Wilson, Dabler & Associates, L.L.C.
14 South Second Street
Belleville, IL 62220
Satellite Office (by appointment only)
216 North Market Street
Waterloo, IL 62298
8:30am-4pm on Fridays
Closed for lunch from Noon-1pm
After Hours Appointments Available